The origin of the Neo Gothic municipal building "Palazzo Torre" ,which houses the council offices, goes back to the 14th century when the town was reconstructed by Cardinal Albornoz from 1363 to 1374. It was the most important fortification in the town until 1880/81 when it was partially demolished and rebuilt with the addition of decorative battlements. In 1628 the owners, the rich and illustrious Benni family, passed it over to the order of "The servants of Mary" and it became their convent. The building then saw the passing of various religious orders until in 1877 it was sold to the town municipality.
After the restoration work of 1879 the only original features remaining are a few of the window frameworks on the first floor and two ornamental plates in Faenzi ceramics on the facade where you can also see the sandstone epigraphs from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries with coats of arms of various commissioners and judges sent from Bologna to administer justice.
The decorative work in the coucil chamber was carried out by Alfonso Rubbiani (1848-1913), a renouned restorer and decorator who was also vice mayor and councillor for many years.
|Piazza Quirico Filopanti, 11
40054 Budrio (BO)
|tel. 051 6928111
fax 051 808106
|For more information,